top of page

1870 (16 Jan) Harrison Blair died at Peel Hall, Little Hulton, Kearsley

Born about 1812


1870 (14 Feb) The railway station at Horwich opened.


1870 (20 Apr) William Frederick Tillotson married Mary Lever 20 April 1870.


1870 (Apr) In April 1870, Robert Bowcock? /Boocock?, licensee of the Quiet Woman, was accused of permitting drunkenness at his house. PC Mosely claims to have seen six men in the front room of the Quiet Woman. All were drunk, some more than others. Three women were in the kitchen and a man named Brennan had blood flowing from his mouth. Brennan claimed that the men had come in to the house already drunk but that the three women were powerless to throw them out. However, evidence was also given that there was not enough drink in the house for the men to be drunk and that Brennan had entered the house with the intention of fighting its occupants. Even so, the court, presided over by Mayor Joseph Musgrave found that the case was proven and he fined Bowcock 20 shillings (£1) plus costs.


1870 (22 Jun) Herbert Cross married Lucy Mary, the only child of Revd Shepherd Birley, of the Birleys of Kirkham, Lancashire

The adoption of the name Shepherd was a requirement of his father-in-law’s will, and concerned his wife’s inheritance


1870 (28 Jun) The first sod was cut for St Stephen’s Church, Kearsley Moor


1870 (Summer) John Redmayne married Sarah Fielden Hyatt during the summer of 1870.


1870 (4 Jul) Stephen Blair died


1870 (21-23 Jul) Thomas Henry Rushton (1845-1903 - His only first-class match was for Lancashire against Hampshire at Old Trafford


1870 (29 Jul) Sir Henry Fowler, locomotive engineer, born in Evesham, Worcestershire

He served an apprenticeship under John Aspinall at the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway (L&YR)'s Horwich Works from 1887 to 1891.

Died 16 Oct 1938


1870 (15 Oct) One of Harrison Blair’s daughters laid the foundation stone of St Stephens’ Church, Kearsley Moor.


1870 Thomas Lever Rushton (1810-1883) was Chairman of Bolton's first School Board in 1870.


1870 Tyldesley Coal Company was a coal mining company formed in 1870 in Tyldesley, on the Manchester Coalfield in the historic county of Lancashire, England that had its origins in Yew Tree Colliery.


1870 St Stephen’s Church, Kearsley Moor founded


1870 Education Act, which (in law, if not often in practice) allowed for many schools to be built and children up to the age of 13 to be educated (education was not yet compulsory).


1870 The 1870 Education Act set up school boards which were responsible for the building and running of schools in their own area.


1870 Bolton sweet factory Roocrofts had its origins in Merehall Street in 1870.


1870 Thomas Appleton, of Horrobin Lodge and the Appleton Bleaching and Dyeing Company of Horrobin Mills, died


1870 In 1870 Thomas Walmsley (1812-1890) helped to establish a Mutual Insurance Association for local cotton and woollen factories


1870 Lostock Industrial School built at an original cost of £5,000 with the philanthropic aim of rescuing children from the industrial revolution. It was sited at Lostock Junction because it was considered one of the healthiest places in Bolton

As the Lostock Open Air School, it had outdoor classes for delicate pupils

Its name later changed to Lostock Park School and it took care of disruptive pupils


1870-1871 St Stephens Church, Kearsley Moor was erected by the family of the late Harrison Blair, esq. of Kearsley House, Chemical Manufacturer at a cost of £3,600


1870- 1872 William Lassell – President of the Royal Astronomical Society


1870-1880 Halliwell was built up in the 1870s and 1880s with the streets named after popular historical and contemporary literary figures such as George Darley, Thomas Carlyle, Homer and Virgil.


1871 (22 Mar) All Saints Church, Little Bolton opened


1871 (8 May) As Mayor Thomas Walmsley (1812-1890) opened Trinity Street Station on 8 May 1871,


1871 (8 May) The original Trinity Street station was opened on 8th May 1871


1871 (29 Jun) Bolton Parish Church opened


1871 (29 Jun) As Mayor Thomas Walmsley (1812-1890) attended the consecration of St Peter's Parish Church on 29 June 1871


1871 (29 Jun) The new Bolton parish church was consecrated


1871 (1 Jul) The Bishop of Manchester, Dr Fraser, consecrated St Stephen’s Church, Kearsley Moor


1871 (27 Oct) As Mayor Thomas Walmsley (1812-1890) opened the Wholesale Market, Great Moor Street on 27 October 1871.


1871 (2 Nov) Newspapers: The Bolton Weekly Journal was established 4th November 1871 by John Tillotson and Son, Mawdsley Street and Chancery Lane price 1.1/2d. Then published by W F Tillotson on 16th March 1872 by whom it has since been continued; but on 1st June 1878 the price was raised to 2d. In the 1881 review it was noted that: – ‘A very valuable series of biographical and historical notices have from time to time appeared in its pages, which no doubt will be useful to the future historian of the district.’


1871 (30 Nov) The so-called Dilke Riot - when the Republican Liberal MP Sir Charles W Dilke came to speak (ironically on a fairly uncontroversial subject) at the Temperance Hall in Bolton.

Conservative pro-Monarchy protestors in the town attacked the Hall resulting in many injuries and one death, that of William Schofield who was mortally wounded by one of the missiles thrown through the windows.

1871 Eagley Mills is a complex of former cotton mills in Eagley, Bolton, England. In 1871 the first of the large modern mill buildings was built on the north side of the river. This was to be known as No 3 Twist Mill (and now called Brook Mill).


1871 Bolton Parish Church St Peter’s of Bolton-le-Moors was consecrated


1871 In 1871 the General Havelock was owned by a Mr Joseph Haslam who regularly held the All-England Celery Show at the pub!


1871 James Barlow (1821-1887) purchased the Wheatsheaf Inn – an Inn of ill-repute with gambling and cock-fighting. This, along with a monetary gift of £5,000 he gave to Dr Stephenson and so was established the First National Children’s Home outside London.


1871 Bolton Swimming Club are an amateur swimming club based in Bolton formed in 1871.


1871 John Charles Kay (1855-1929) co-founded Turton Football Club


1871 Thomas Henry Rushton (born 1845) married Emily Jane Ormrod (born about 1851) in Bolton, Lancashire


1871-1873 William Walter Cannon – Mayor of Bolton


1871-1891 Richard “Dick” Gorton Barlow (born 1851) played cricket for Lancashire.


1872 (Mar) Victoria Wesleyan Chapel, Grecian Crescent opened in March 1872, by the Rev. John Rattenbury, the Venerable Wesleyan divine who was at that time stationed at Nottingham, and who preached from the text Hebrews xi.,4. The chapel was the outcome of one of the schemes of extension which have made Bolton Wesleyanism so important a factor in the religious life of the town.


1872 (4 May) Oswald Partington, 2nd Baron Doverdale (1872 – 1935), Liberal Party politician in the United Kingdom, born.                 Died 23 Mar 1935.


1872 (18 Oct) Edith Rigby (nee Rayner), suffragette, was born at 1 Pole Street, Preston, Lancashire, the second of seven children of Alexander Clement Rayner (1841/2–1916), surgeon, and his wife, Mary, née Pilkington Sharples (known as Polly).

Set fire to the holiday home of soap powder entrepreneur Sir William Lever

Died 23 Jul 1950 at Erdmuth


1872 James Whitehead (1788-1872), a calenderer in the cloth finishing business and later a brewer in Bolton-le-Moors, died.


1872 In 1872 a bill was passed which stated that children must have received education until they were at least 12 years old.


1872 Horwich Local Board of Health was established


1872 When the undertaking was taken over by Bolton Corporation gas consumption was 304,585,000 cubic feet.


1872 Bolton Corporation take over Bolton Gas.


1872 The Bury Improvement Act allowed the Bury Improvement Commissioners to take over Bury, Radcliffe, (who supplied Little Lever), Haslingden and Rawtenstall Waterworks Companies.(see 1876)

In 1876, the Commissioners were replaced by Bury Borough Council.                   


1872 Peel Mill No1, Turton Street, destroyed by fire £30.000 damage.


1872 Lion tamer Thomas Maccarte mauled by one of his charges in Bolton


1872 Coal Mines Regulation Act

Made it illegal to employ children in mines under the age of 12.


1872 Bolton Swimming Club has been in existence since 1872


1872 William Romaine Callender (born 1825) acted as Benjamin Disraeli's host on his famous Manchester visit


1872 Turton was only a small village but what may have been the first football club in Lancashire was formed there in 1872 when John Charles Kay, son of the local squire, returned from Harrow School and put together a team which played on a pitch behind the row of terraced houses.


1872-1893 Thomas Hardcastle – Church Warden of St Maxentius, Bradshaw, Turton


1873 (5 May) Percy Stockwell Ritherdon (1873-1936) founder of Ritherdon and Co, born in Huddersfield the son of Roland Ritherdon, Woollen Merchant, and his wife Augusta Selina Innes


1873 (5 Jun) The brainchild of James Rawsthorne Wolfenden (Mayor of Bolton 1861-1863) and designed by William Hill of Leeds and George Woodhouse of Bolton, Bolton Town Hall, incorporating the Albert Hall was opened by the Prince of Wales.

William Walter Cannon (Mayor 1871-1873) presided over the subsequent banquet and celebrations

The pediment above the main portico is by William Calder Marshall and contains figures representing Earth, Manufacturers, Commerce and Ocean flanking a central figure of Bolton holding a shield bearing an Elephant and Castle (surprisingly the only example of an elephant to be found on the outside of the building!)


1873 (25 Jun) Marriage of Benjamin Hick, Esq., nephew of John Hick, Esq., MP, and partner in the firm of Messrs Hick, Hargreaves and Co., Soho Iron Works, with Frances, daughter of George Knowles, Esq., of Tudor House, Chorley New Road, took place at the Parish Church, in the presence of a fair congregation. The officiating clergyman was the vicar, the Rev. Canon Powell, assisted by the Rev. W. Bashall, MA, vicar of Deane


1873 (1 Aug) James Barlow, (Mayor of Bolton 1867-1869), unveiled the statue of Dr Samuel Taylor Chadwick (1809-1876) – a local doctor, and a generous philanthropist – on Victoria Square. The statue is by Charles Bell Birch

A major benefactor of Bolton, Chadwick left money to set up the Chadwick Orphanage in the Haulgh and the Chadwick Museum in Queen’s Park – both now long demolished.


1873 (29 Sep) Newspapers: The Bolton Evening Guardian began 29th September 1873 and was published by Thomas Cunliffe, Oxford Street price 1/2d; it was still in circulation in 1881.


1873 (14 Nov) James Hallows, Lancashire cricketer, born at Little Lever, near Bolton, Lancashire

Died 20 May 1910


1873 (19 Nov) Thomas Lever Rushton, Chairman of Bolton’s first School Board, laid the foundation stone of Pikes Lane Board School.

The first school in Bolton to be built by the Board.


1873 (19 Nov) Thomas Lever Rushton (1810-1883) laid the foundation stone of Pikes Lane Board School - the first school in Bolton to be built by the Board - on 19 November 1873.


1873 Wingates Band was formed by members of the local independent Methodist church’s bible class. Reflecting this origin, the band was originally known as the Wingates Temperance Band. Abstinence from alcohol was a main tenet of church teaching.


1873 Town Hall constructed; opened 5th June 1873 by the Prince and Princess of Wales, later Edward VII and Queen Alexandra


1873 The Bolton Royal Infirmary was built just off the bottom of Chorley New Road to replace the Nelson Square facilities, originally with 84 beds but eventually around 224.  

1873 Queen Street Mission and Ragged School , Bolton. The mission was founded in an old brass foundry in Collingwood Court off Deansgate in Bolton town centre by Mr and Mrs George Clough Barlow in 1873. A Sunday evening school and a free night school were held for children rescued from the streets.


1873-1880 Edmund Ashworth – Chairman of Turton Local Board.


1873-1893 Harwood Lodge, Bolton was the home of 1st Lord Leverhulme's parents, 1873-93, it is said that plans and experiments for Sunlight soap manufacture took place here.


1874 (24 Mar) Harry Houdini (born Erik Weisz) was a Hungarian-American magician and escapologist, stunt performer, actor and film producer, born

Appeared in Bolton- at the Grand Theatre in 1908 and the Hippodrome in 1910

Died 31 Oct 1926


1874 (15 Apr) William Hesketh Lever married Elizabeth Ellen Hulme at St Georges Road Congregational Church, Bolton


1874 (Apr) James Eden, a former partner in the beaching firm Eden and Thwaites, died

Eden’s Orphanage was a gift of James Eden when he died. A total sum of £50,000 for the building of a home for the care and support of Bolton’s destitute orphans. It was located on the site of Taylor’s Tenement Farm. The free gothic style home (architect J.J. Bradshaw) was built on Thorns Road in Astley Bridge (>1951)


1874 (29 Jun) Charles James Darbishire, Mayor of Bolton 1838-1839, died at Vale Bank, Rivington, Lancashire


1874 (19 Aug) Ellen Forshaw Marsden born, at Yew Tree, Sharples, Bolton, Lancashire, daughter of the Mayor and Mayoress of Bolton Jeremiah Marsden and his wife, Anne.


1874 (29 Aug) Bolton Great Moor Street Station (London and North Western Railway) opened (>27 Mar 1954)


Baptism: 17 Oct 1874 All Saints, Bolton, Lancs.

Ethel Frances Fullagar - [Child] of Walter Palmer Fullagar & Catherine Eleanor

Abode: New Hall, Little Bolton.  Occupation: Solicitor

Baptised by: Thos. Lowe



1874 (16 Dec) As Mayor and Mayoress Jeremiah Marsden and his wife, Anne, were presented with a miniature silver cradle on 16 December 1874 to mark the birth of their daughter, Ellen Forshaw Marsden, on 19 August 1874.

"The cradle is a magnificent specimen of design and workmanship, is of massive solid silver and is splendidly ornamented and embossed. On each end of the cradle is a shield, the one at the head bearing a representation of the Bolton Coat of Arms and that at the foot having the following inscription neatly engraved: 'Presented by members of the Council of the Borough of Bolton to Jeremiah Marsden, Esq., Mayor of the borough, and to Mrs Marsden, on the occasion of the birth of their daughter Ellen Forshaw Marsden, 19th August, 1874. The height of the cradle is six inches, eight inches in length and five inches broad. It is surrounded by a glass shade. During next week it will be on view in the windows of Messrs Monk Brothers." (Bolton Evening News 12 December 1874)


1874 Cleworth Hall, the largest and longest lasting of the collieries owned by the Tyldesley Coal Company was sunk under the Cleworth Hall estate to the east of Yew Tree Colliery in 1874.


1874 Doffcocker lodge: This reserve was built on a now disused reservoir built in 1874.


1874 In 1874 J.T. Fielding (1849-1894) succeeded his father as secretary to the Self-Actor Minders' Association and later that year was appointed secretary to the Bolton Trades' Council.


1874 Joseph Sharman founded the Compton Brewery, mill Street, Bolton Greater Manchester in 1868 & built Mere Hall Brewery, Mere Hall Street in 1874.


1874 Eagley Football Club (Formerly Eagley Mills Football Club) can rightly claim to be on of the country’s oldest amateur clubs, its existence being traced back as far as 1874.


1874 Bolton Wanderers formed


1874 Initially formed in 1874 as Christ Church FC by the Reverend Joseph Farrall Wright, Perpetual curate of Christ Church Bolton and Thomas Ogden, the schoolmaster at the adjacent church school, the football club proceeded to rename themselves as Bolton Wanderers three years later in 1877.


1874 Bolton Wanderers FC was founded by the Reverend John Farrall Wright (1827-1883) as Christ Church FC. It was initially run from the church of the same name in Egerton, Bolton


1874 The Reverend John Farrall Wright and schoolmaster Thomas Ogden established the Christ Church Sunday School football team. The team, captained by Ogden, played at the Park Recreation Ground.


1874 The Parish Church of St Luke’s, Halliwell was consecrated by Dr Fraser, Bishop of Manchester

The church was destroyed by fire in the early 1970’s


1874 The Chadwick Orphanage was built by Dr. Samuel Chadwick in the Haulgh but demolished in 1963


1874 Mining accident at Spindle Point.


1874 Thomas Barlow (born 1845) was appointed medical registrar at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, London


1874 St Matthew’s Church, Mount Street, Little Bolton established

Demolished about 1980 due to dry rot

1874 The Angel and Woolpack pub in Mealhouse Lane closed.

1874-1895 Charles Clement Coe (1830-1921) was minister at Bank  Street Unitarian Chapel n BoltonLancashire, from 1874 to 1895, when he moved to Bournemouth.

It was while at Bolton that Coe wrote a large volume, Nature Versus Natural Selection: An Essay on Organic Evolution (1895). He defended evolution but rejected natural selection


1875 (1 Apr) Bolton to Manchester passenger rail service opened.


1875 (Apr) Like so many pubs at the time, the Wheatsheaf brewed its own beer. But there was a disaster at the pub in April 1875 when an explosion killed one man and one child and completely destroyed the pub. Adjoining premises were also badly damaged.                            The landlord at the time was a man named William Greenhalgh who faced criminal charges following the incident, which was caused by a boiler used in the brewery. At the inquest the jury found that Greenhalgh had been negligent in the management of the boiler, which was in a poor condition. But they did not feel justified in returning a verdict of manslaughter against him.

1875 (12 May) Charles Henry Holden, English architect, born in Great Lever, Bolton                                                                                 Best known for his designs of some of the 1920s and 1930s stations on the London Underground railway system, but who was already a distinguished architect before then, notably in his Imperial War Graves Commission war cemeteries in Belgium and northern France.                 Died 1 May 1960


1875 (17 May) Peter Ormrod of Wyresdale Park died aged 79 years

St Peter's Churchyard, Scorton Village, Scorton, Lancashire


1875 (19 Jun) David Magee died.


1875 (Jun) Pikes Lane Board School was the first purpose-built board school in Bolton. It opened in June 1875 although the stone above the main entrance was dated 1874.


1875 (Jul) The Church of St Thomas’s, Halliwell, which is situated off Halliwell road, was consecrated by Dr Fraser, Bishop of Manchester

The total cost was about £7,000. The architects were Messrs Paley and Austin


 1875 Arthur John Hope, known as “AJ”, English architect and president of the Manchester Society of Architects (1924) was born in Atherton, Greater Manchester. Hope entered the office of Bradshaw & Gass in 1892 as a pupil and was made a partner ten years later creating Bradshaw, Gass & Hope (after 1912 Bradshaw Gass & Hope).            Died 1960


1875 Thomas Midgley (1875-1953), born

1875 Mawdsley Street Congregational Schools rebuilt 1875


1875 Up to 1875 there was only one church to serve the Halliwell district – St. Paul’s


1875 Great Moor Street Station rebuilt and reopened. The station closed for regular services in 1954 though was used at holiday times for North Wales until 1958. It was finally demolished in 1970.


c.1875 In about 1875, Richard Henry Ainsworth employed George Devey (1820- 1886) to extend and modernise Smithills Hall, his home near Bolton.


c. 1875 The Hollins Cottage Homes were set up adjacent to Fishpool but separated from it with its own access to Plodder Lane. The purpose was to accommodate orphan or pauper children who might otherwise have been placed in the Workhouse which was essentially for adults. It was later extended. (see 1910)


1875-1877 St Michael and All Angels' Church is in Leigh Road, Howe Bridge, a suburb of Atherton, Greater Manchester, England. The church was built between 1875 and 1877 to a design by the Lancaster architects Paley and Austin for Fletcher, Burrows and Company, the owners of three collieries in Atherton. It cost £7,000 (equivalent to £650,000 in 2018), and was paid for by Ralph Fletcher.


1875-1880 Bolton Union Mill was a cotton spinning mill in Halliwell, Bolton, Greater Manchester. It was built in 1875 and 1880.               It was taken over by the Lancashire Cotton Corporation in the 1930s and brought back into production. Subsequently, it passed to Tootals and Dewhurst Dent in 1964. Production finished in 1967.


1875-1884 Wilson Edward & Company operated the Prestolee Alkali Works between 1875 and 1884.


1876 (22 Jan) William Romaine Callender (junior) (1825 – 1876), British businessman and Conservative politician, died.


1876 (2 Feb) Mr. William Rideout, benefactor, died on February 2nd 1876 at his London home. The nephew of Thomas Bonsor Crompton


1876 (2 Feb) First internment at Farnworth Cemetery.


1876 (2 Feb) Farnworth Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Farnworth, Bolton, BL4 7QY. (First Interment: 2nd February 1876)


1876 (Feb) Bolton Chronicle, Saturday February 12th 1876 reported:  "Ten days ago the pleasant little village (Eagley) in our neighborhood with its five hundred inhabitants was suddenly dismayed by the outbreak of an epidemic which spread with such rapidity that ere the week had closed one fifth of their number had been attacked and laid on beds of sickness. The strongest had been stricken down in a few hours, and men and women who had gone to their work suffering, as they thought, from nothing worse than a cold, returned labouring under symptoms which betokened disease of an alarming nature. Mr. ROBINSON, Surgeon, Medical Officer of Health for the Turton local board within whose limits Eagley is included, diagnosed the outbreak as one of typhoid fever of a peculiar type".                                                                          The source of the infection was traced to Mrs KERSHAW's farm at Toppings (also known as Hardman's Farm and recently demolished). The man employed by Mrs Kershaw to look after the cattle confessed that he had been in the habit of washing the milk cans with water from a tub filled by a small rivulet. Unknown to him, recent storms had carried severe pollution into this water-course which was found to be "little better than average sewage".                                                                   The Headmaster of Eagley School reported in his log book Monday 7th February, 1876 "There is now, and has been nearly a week, raging an illness owing to drinking milk in a poisonous state. There are about a hundred persons seriously ill, many of whom are kept away from school on pretence of fearing contagion should any of the scholars be poisoned .Miss HOWARTH our Certificated Mistress is one of those affected and consequently forced to be absent from school."                             Monday, February 14th "Two more deaths have occurred, one of them James KAY in the second standard."                                                  Monday, February 21st "Miss HOWARTH continues in a precarious state. Two more scholars are dead from the same cause - Elizabeth ROTHWELL aged 12 in the fourth standard and her little brother William aged 6 in the Infants School. These are cousins to James KAY."                The following week "On Friday last at 11 pm Miss Anne HOWARTH, Certificated mistress in our upper school, died of the milk poison, and on Monday the 28th was buried at Walmsley Church."


1876 (4 Apr) Robert "Bob" Jack (1876 – 1943) Scottish football player and manager, born in Alloa.                                                            Died 6 May 1943.


1876 (28 Apr) Wayoh Reservoir is a water reservoir in the town of Edgworth, Lancashire, England. It was completed on 28 April 1876 to supply water to Bolton.                                                        Wayoh, together with the Turton and Entwistle Reservoir, make up 50% of Bolton's drinking water.


1876 (3 May) Samuel Chadwick died at Peel House in Southport.

He was buried in Bolton parish churchyard


1876 (19 Jun) Herbert Nigel Gresley steam locomotive engineer, born in Edinburgh

Became a pupil under John Aspinall at Horwich of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway


1876 (13 Sep) St Matthews Church, Mount Street, Little Bolton was consecrated.

Dedicated by the then Bishop of Manchester, Dr. Fraser

The spire of St Matthews was a considerable landmark rising 87 feet above its tower


1876 (1 Nov) One of the old Toll places in Farnworth was at Moses Gate. It's said that the toll keeper was called Moses, and he died in 1876. The toll would expire on November 1st of that year, many people contested to have the honour of paying the last toll, and the Farnworth Brass Band played "Auld Lang Syne".

The name Moses Gate is not a personal name, but a corruption of the word 'mosses' meaning peaty or marshy lands, and gate is from the Old English 'gata' meaning a way across, so we have the way though the mosses (Kearsley Moss, Clifton Moss, Linnyshaw Moss etc.)


1876 Warburtons founded

Married couple Ellen and Thomas Warburton purchased a small grocery shop in Bolton


1876 The school leaving age was raised to ten


1876 Samuel Taylor Chadwick, a local medical doctor of some wealth, died


1876 The Bury Improvement Commissioners were replaced by Bury Borough Council (see 1872)                                                                                                   


1876 - 1879 Peel Mill No3, Waterloo Street, built, the 6-storey mill built mostly of iron and glass, it became known as 'the Glass Factory'


1877 (23 Jan) 18 lives lost at Stonehill Colliery in an explosion, firedamp, ignition caused by a lighted candle.


1877 (23 Jan) 18 died in a mining disaster at Stonehill Colliery, Farnworth.                                                                                  A fire in the colliery's Cannel mine around 1,200 yards from the pit bottom filled the workings with smoke and fumes. Most men escaped but of 40 trapped by the fire 18 were asphyxiated. The fire was extinguished two days later. At the time of the disaster naked flames were used in the colliery as it was not considered to be a "gassy" pit.


1877 (7 Feb) St Michael and All Angels' Church is in Leigh Road, Howe Bridge, a suburb of Atherton, Greater Manchester, England. The church was consecrated on 7 February 1877,


1877 (14 Feb) Nathaniel Greenhalgh Esq, of Thorndikes, Sharples died aged 61 years


1877 (12 Mar) 43 died in a mining disaster at   Unity Brook Colliery, Kearsley.                                                                                 The colliery worked two seams, the Trencherbone mine at about 300 yards and the Cannel mine at about 360 yards. The two shafts had winding engines and the downcast was the winding shaft for both seams. Open lights were used to work both seams and safety lamps were only used for examinations. The explosion took place in the lower Cannel mine after a roof fall. Just before the explosion, the cage had just reached the pit bank when the blast blew it into fragments, some of which fell down the shaft.


1877 (24 Mar) Newspapers: The Journal Budget began 24th March 1877. It was described as a ‘Weekly Magazine of Fiction and other Interesting Family Reading’, price 1d. It ceased at the 20th number in August 1877. If it was ever considered to be a rival of the ‘Family Herald’ and other kindred papers, its editor must have been greatly mistaken, as it has been said that few besides himself lamented its decease.


1877 (26 Apr) Edwin Alliott Verdon Roe, pioneer British pilot and aircraft manufacturer, and founder in 1910 of A. V. Roe and Co., born in Patricroft, now in Salford

Served as an apprentice with the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway.

Died 4 Jan 1958


1877 (27 Apr) Jeremiah Marsden (born 1820) master iron founder and kitchen range manufacturer, and Mayor of Bolton: 1873-75 (Conservative), died at Westminster Palace Hotel, London.


1877 (1 Jul) Chapel Town railway station renamed Turton (>2 March 1891 Renamed (Turton and Edgworth)


1877 (13 Sep) Stanley Phillip Lord (1877 – 1962), born in Bolton, Lancashire, England.                                                                      Captain of the SS Californian, a ship that was in the vicinity of the RMS Titanic the night it sank on 15 April 1912 but which did not come to its assistance.                                                                                   Died 24 Jan 1962.

Baptism: 30 Sep 1877 St George, Bolton, Lancs.

Stanley Lord - Son of James Lord & Charlotte

   Abode: 30 Howarth St Bolton

   Occupation: Cashier

   Baptised by: Neville Jones, Vicar


1877 Captain Edward Albert Ashton Bagley, MP Farnworth 1918-1922 (Conservative Unionist, born Islington, London

Died 5 Nov 1961


1877 The Bolton Improvement Act

1877 Marsden Road bridge was built in 1877.


1877 Dean Mills at Barrow Bridge closed


1877 Bolton Girl’s Day School established

Quickly renamed Bolton High School for Girls

Later Bolton School (Girl’s Division)


1877 Christ Church FC -formed in 1874- rename themselves as Bolton Wanderers in 1877.


1877 Christchurch FC changed its name to Bolton Wanderers FC. The name was chosen as the club initially had a lot of difficulty finding a permanent ground to play on, having used three venues in its first four years of existence


1877 There was a dispute between Wright and Ogden and as a result a new team, Bolton Wanderers, was formed. They now played their games at Pikes Lane.


1877 St Stephens School, Kearsley Moor, enlarged (>21 Sept 1912)


1877 John Thomas Redmayne (1846-1880) helped found the Bolton Microscopical Society, in 1877.


1877 After a disagreement with the local vicar in 1877, they broke away from the church and wandered in the wilderness without a permanent home for 18 years before settling in at Burnden Park.     During this homeless period, one of their pitches was adjacent to a piggery and clearances were forever ending up amongst the slurry in the pig-pens, with players trotting off to retrieve the ball; attracting a new nickname in the process.                                                                 Burnden Park was originally used as a dump for barrels and cotton bales from the local industry, but was covered with earth and used as a football pitch, even though a railway ran alongside the place in 1895.

1877 Bolton & District Hospital Saturday Council -  The organisation's roots go back to 1877, when it was set up in the town, after a local health service was established, to fundraise for a new infirmary. Hospital Saturday funded the facility until 1948 when the NHS took over.

1877 Woodside, a mansion on Chorley New Road, was built in 1877 for the Mellor family who were local mill owners. It was designed by the architect George Woodhouse.


1878 (17 Jan) One of the first telephone lines in the world connected the Gas Offices with the gas works.

1878 (17 Jan) Bolton was at the forefront of telephone technology, with the link between the Gas office and the gas works being one of the first phone lines anywhere. Apparently, the phone line from the Gas Works to Gas office was installed on 17th Jan 1878, only 18 months after Bells first phone conversation, and at the same time that Bell demonstrated the telephone to Queen Victoria.


1878 The interactive demo of the workings of the telephone, given by Alexander Graham Bell to Queen Victoria in 1878. Bell’s demo by royal appointment took place at Osborne House in January 1878,


1878 (27 Feb) Sir John Haslam, Conservative Party politician, born

MP for Bolton 1931-1940

Died 21 May 1940


1878 (12 Mar) The worst mining disaster in Kearsley was the Unity Brook disaster where 43 men and boys died in an explosion. Among those named are Thomas Lever, 18, Samuel Wolstenholme, 50, William Wolstenholme, 23, John Tickle Lomax, 31, James Beattie, 19, Robert (40), David (13) and Jonathan (12) Enions, Andrew Walker, 22. all are buried at St Stephens


1878 (11 Apr) Benjamin Alfred Dobson (1847-1898), as Chairman of the Park and Burial Board Committee, cut the first sod of Heaton Cemetery


1878 (28 Sep) Thomas Lever Rushton (1810-1883) laid the Memorial Stone for the Marsh Memorial Church (St George the Martyr's) in Daubhill on 28 September 1878.


1878 (Jan) Canon Hardwicke Drummond Rawnsley, Vicar of Wray near Ambleside married Bolton-born Edith Fletcher


1878 (28 Mar) Charles (Charlie) Sagar, professional footballer, born in Daisy Hill, Edgworth, Turton, Lancashire

Inside-left played for Edgworth Rovers, Turton, Bury, Manchester United and England. His career was ended prematurely in 1907 with a knee injury.

Scored second goal in Bury’s 6-0 1903 FA Cup Final victory over Derby County.

Scored 71 goals in 186 games for Bury

FA Cup winner 1900 & 1903

Scored a hat trick on his debut for Manchester United

Founder member of the Association Football Players Union

Died 4 Dec 1919 Bolton


1878 (27 Jun) James Greenhalgh (1821-1881) laid the cornerstone of Chadwick Museum in Queen's Park, Bolton.


1878 Henry Dennis founded the Hafod Brickworks in 1878 to capitalise on the reserves of Etruria Marl Clay found in the Ruabon area. Such was the popularity of its products - bricks, ridge tiles, chimney pots and the famous Ruabon quarry tile – it became known as the ‘Red Factory’.


1878 Christ Church, Heaton has its origins in a second-hand iron church erected in 1878.


1878 George Saxon & Co opened

The company manufactured stationary steam engines and was based in the Openshaw district of Manchester, England


1878 Marsden Road High Level Bridge opened.


1878 Christ Church Heaton, Bolton: In 1878 a second-hand Iron Church was erected to provide for the servants from the palatial homes of the cotton magnates of Bolton that lined Chorley New Road.              The first generation of mill owners continued their allegiance to Deane parish church, being the ancient parish from which Heaton was carved.


1878 Old Hardmans was built in 1878 on St Georges Road as a carriage company, which closed in 1914. The buildings were split into shops in 1927, with one of the units acquired by Stanley Hardman furniture makers and undertakers incorporating Hardmans Motors (Taxi) Funerals.

1878 Horwich: The Public Hall in Lee Lane was built in 1878 and was the town's first leisure centre.


1878 Mawdsley Street Congregational Schools extended 1878


1878-1880 Alfred Barnes (1831-1893), Chairman of Farnworth Local Board:1878-80 (Liberal).

1879 (Mar) In March 1879 a barmaid, Ellen Mather (nee Smith), was fatally stabbed by William Cooper while on her way from the Albert to a St Patrick's Day dance at Bridgeman Street baths.

1879 (2 Apr) Horwich Public Hall opened, paid for by Peter Martin J P.


1879 (3 Apr) Wheat Sheaf Inn, Great Moor Street, Bolton fetched £8,400 at auction.

1879 (14 Apr) St Thomas' Church, Dixon Green, built at a cost £8,000, was consecrated.

1879 (20 May) William Cooper of Bolton was hanged at Strangeways Prison.


1879 (27 Dec) Heaton Cemetery, Gilnow Road, Bolton, BL1 4LH (First Interment: 27th December 1879).

1879 St Bartholomew, St Bartholomew's Street, Great Lever Lancashire was founded in 1879.                                                                  It closed in 1962.


1879 St Joseph’s School: The original school was situated in a small house known as the Temperance Hall on Halliwell Road from 1879. This building was used to celebrate Mass and as a small school. (>22 Aug 1880)


1879 St Peter’s Church, Scorton, opened

The church was designed by Paley and Austin and funded by Squire James Ormrod, at a cost of £14,000


1879-1883 Bolton infirmary built 1879-1883.

bottom of page