top of page

1850 (1 Jul) Newspapers: Makie’s Advertiser began on 1st July 1850 and although it had a wide gratuitous circulation it only lasted some four years.


1850 (14 Aug) Thomas Ridgway Bridson (1795-1863) presented the original Mayoral Chain and Seal to the then Mayor, Thomas Lever Rushton, at a Council meeting on 14 August 1850.


1850 (16 Oct) Edward Justice Moore, third son of Clare Maria and John Moore, aged 28 who was barbarously murdered by American Indians in California Oct 16 1850

“In the midst of life, we are in death”


1850 (22 Oct) Robert Tootill CBE MP (1850 – 1934), British politician, born in Chorley.                                                             He worked as a Labour Correspondent to the Board of Trade, and also served on Bolton Town Council for many years from 1888. He became secretary of Bolton Trades Council, and was also secretary of the Amalgamated Union of Machine and General Labourers.                    Died 2 Jul 1934


By the 1850s One thousand people were employed at Dean Mills, at Barrow Bridge


1850 The Public Libraries Act


1850 St Peters Church, Belmont built

On the site of an ancient farm using funds provided by industrialist John Hick and his wife Margaret together with public donations


1850 James Cross died

The last of the founding partners of Bolton Bank


1850 Sarah Reddish, active suffragette and socialist, born in Bolton.

Left school at the age of 11 to work at home with her mother, a silk weaver. Her father was librarian and secretary to the Bolton Co-op Education Committee.


Around 1850-1870 Nob End, Little Lever, standing at the confluence of the River Irwell and River Croal, was used around 1850-70 as a tip for alkaline waste from the production of sodium carbonate (soda ash) by the Leblanc process


1850-1920 8-12 Wood Street (Aspen House) was the headquarters of Bolton Savings Bank

Boasted half a dozen Mayors of Bolton among its officials and directors


1851 (28 May) Richard “Dick” Gorton Barlow, cricketer (England and Lancashire), born in Barrow Bridge, Bolton, Lancashire

In 17 Test matches he scored 591 runs and took 34 wickets

He was a moulder with Dobson & Barlow in Bolton

Died 31 Jul 1919 in Stanley Park, Blackpool


1851 (24 Jul) The Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe and West Yorkshire Railway (BBC&WYR) was renamed the Blackburn Railway on 24 July 1851


1851 (19 Sep) Sir William Hesketh Lever born at (16?)/18, Wood Street, Bolton-le-Moors


1851 (11 Oct) The Prince Consort visited Barrow Bridge


1851 Newspapers: The Bolton Bee began in 1851, printed and published by T T Holt & Co. Caxton Printing Office, 16 Oxford Street, price 1.1/2d. Unfortunately. only 12 numbers were produced. Its motto was ‘The noblest motive is the public good’.


1851 Halliwell Road sub post office, 446 Halliwell Road has been with us since 1851.

1851Horwich:  Lee Lane Post Office, built in 1851 and the town's first post office.


1851 William Hesketh Lever born at 16 Wood Street.


1851 Lum Street gas works that was built by the Bolton Gas Light and Coke Company in 1851.


1851 On the death of Mr. Metcalf, Mr Dobson entered into partnership with Edward Barlow; the name of the firm became Dobson and Barlow.


1851 Prince Albert visited Bolton in 1851.


1851 51% of the population of Bolton attended the Church of England, 43% were Methodists or members of the other Nonconformist Churches and 6% were Roman Catholics


1851 The Lum St gas station was erected.


1851 Egyptian Mill built.


1851 Harrison Blair married Frances Jane Mann at West Derby, Lancashire


1851 James Barlow began building Albert Mills in Higher Bridge Street


1851 William Lassell discovered Ariel and Umbriel, moons of Uranus


1852 (10 Apr) Newspaper: The Bowtun Luminary un Tumfowt Telegraph un Lankishire Looking Glass was unique of its kind. It began on 10th April 1852 and was edited by ‘Billy Coe’ (JT Staton) and printed in Exchange Street East. It moved to different sites and was progressively enlarged until it expired in the middle of the 14th volume, much regretted by a limited circle of admiring friends. It was written in the Lancashire dialect and the tales and sketches were of a very humorous character being interspersed with some severe criticisms on the characters and events of the day. Therefore, it led to the publication being looked for with great interest.


1852 (30 Aug) Col George Hesketh (1852-1930) - Mayor of Bolton: 1905-06 (Conservative), born in Great Lever, Bolton.                          Died 30 Apr 1930.


1852 (18 Oct) Joseph Tyas Cooper, born in Charlesworth, Derbyshire

Mayor of Bolton 1909-191 (Liberal)

Died 7 Mar 1929.


1852 in 1852 Joshua Walmsley (1794–1871) exchanged his Bolton seat for Leicester, where his efforts on behalf of the framework knitters had made him popular.


1852 Lostock Junction railway station opened (>Nov 1966)


1852 Gas consumption was 16,133,000 cubic feet


1852 Dr John Johnson born

Prominent member of Bolton’s Whitman Fellowship.


1852 The continuous washer of Mr Henry Bridson of Bolton-le-Moors, Lancashire, patented


1852-1857 A chain of reservoirs built to bring water to Liverpool


1853 (10 Sep) Newspapers: The Boltonian was a fortnightly magazine of instruction and amusement which began on 10th September 1853 and was edited by John Crompton, 16 Acresfield. William Winstonley (sic) of Bradshawgate was the publisher and the cost was 2d. Although well printed and containing a very choice selection of articles and tales, its career was very brief.


1853 (12 Oct) The upper rooms of the Exchange Building, in Victoria Square, became Bolton Free Library. Bolton’s first free public library, opened by John Stones (Mayor of Bolton 1852-1853).

Eventually the whole building was used as a library and continued as such until 1938.

This building is now occupied by the Nationwide Building Society in Victoria Square.


1853 On the establishment of a free library in Bolton, James Black (born 1788/1789) was chosen as a member of its committee and he published A few words in aid of literature and science, on the occasion of opening the public library, Bolton (1853).


1853 A photograph of the Bromiley (sometimes spelt Bromley) family sat outside the front porch at Hall i th Wood, dates from 1853, is thought to be the earliest surviving photograph of Bolton.

The Bromiley family earned their living through farming. It is said that they kept cattle in the Great Hall at Hall i th Wood. The family rented Hall i th Wood from the 1820s up to the beginning of the 20th century when the house was purchased by Lord Leverhulme and turned into a museum.


1853 Peter Ormrod bought part of Nether Wyresdale and built a large country house called Wyresdale Park.


1853 James William Wallace (1853-1926) born in Bolton the son of a millwright.                                                                               He grew up at 14 Eagle Street, off Bury Road in the Haulgh district of the town. He left school at 14 to join the firm of Bradshaw's (later Bradshaw and Gass) as an architect's assistant. He remained there until his retirement in 1912, despite the poor health which necessitated a move to the more rural Anderton in the early 1890s. He was very close to his mother and after her death in 1885 Wallace, always a great reader, found spiritual solace in Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass. The death of his mother also seems to have precipitated a spiritual transformation in Wallace; he described attaining a new state of consciousness, which seems to have altered his whole outlook on life. He was subsequently looked upon by many as a quasi- religious figure (much like Whitman himself), and a provider of spiritual guidance. Numerous people visited Wallace after undergoing traumatic events or illnesses to receive mental and physical healing from Wallace and his housekeeper and companion, Minnie Whiteside. When Minnie first came to live with Wallace in 1905 she was recently widowed; her husband, a friend of Wallace, died following an industrial accident which happened only two weeks after their wedding. Minnie was devoted to Wallace and remained with him as his companion until he died. He, in turn, educated her and always referred to her as his adopted daughter.


1853 Halliwell Mills built

Nathaniel Greenhalgh and William Shaw


1853 Magee’s Crown brewery was founded in 1853 by David Magee, Derby Street Crown Street


1853 The Exchange Newsroom became Bolton Library in 1853.

1853 Heaton Grange. Chorley New Road,  Heaton, Bolton built for John Knowles JP. The architect was George Woodhouse.

1853 In 1853, in the school of Ss Peter and Paul Church, it was decided to build a church in the centre of the town, which would become St Patrick's Church.                                                      From the meeting in 1853 to establish St Patrick's Church in Bolton, a site was later found on Great Moor Street and an architect, Charles Holt, was commissioned to build the church.


1854 (1 Jan) Newspapers: Winterburn’s (John) Advertiser began on 1st January 1854 and was only printed on one side; unfortunately, it only survived a few months.


1854 (16 Feb) John Bowring (born 1792) was knighted


1854 (1 Apr) Newspapers: The Bolton Monthly Advertiser began 1st April 1854 as a continuation of Mackie’s by William Robinson of Fold Street. In 1881 it was still continuing to be produced on the 1st of each month, price 1d and contained a very caustic summary of local and foreign news.


1854 (13 Apr) John Bowring (born 1792) was sent to Hong Kong as governor.


1854 (22 Apr) Peter Yates ( 1854–1944), the founder of Yates Wine Lodge, born


1854 (25 Oct) The Charge of the Light Brigade was a charge of British light cavalry led by Lord Cardigan against Russian forces during the Battle of Balaclava on 25 October 1854 in the Crimean War. British commander Lord Raglan had intended to send the Light Brigade to prevent the Russians from removing captured guns from overrun Turkish positions, a task for which the light cavalry were well-suited. However, there was miscommunication in the chain of command, and the Light Brigade was instead sent on a frontal assault against a different artillery battery, one well-prepared with excellent fields of defensive fire. The Light Brigade reached the battery under withering direct fire and scattered some of the gunners, but they were forced to retreat immediately, and the assault ended with very high British casualties and no decisive gains.                                                                    The loss of the Light Brigade had been such a traumatic event that the allies were incapable of further action that day. Of the 666 men known to have ridden in the charge (sources vary slightly), 271 became casualties: 110 killed (less than 17%), 129 wounded, plus another 32 wounded and taken prisoner. Additionally, 375 horses were killed


1854 (25 Oct) Private Constantine Wrigley (born c.1816), killed in the Charge of the Light Brigade


1854 Robert Heywood purchased the Bowyer Bible for £550 from the estate of John Albinson

It is now on display in Bolton Museum


1854 Knowles Edge born in Prestwich, Lancashire, son of company founder William Edge

Educated at the Mechanics Institute, Bolton

Mayor of Bolton 1916-1918 (Liberal)

Chairman of William Edge and Son – “Dolly Blue” manufacturers


1854 Edward Deakin born in Egerton, Turton, Lancashire

Chairman of Turton Urban District Council 1902-1908

Died 29 Nov 1935


1854 The gatehouse for the estate of the Earl of Bradford originally built.

Fred Dibnah bought it for £5,000 in the late 1960s from the Earl of Bradford


1854 Moss Bank House was extended by various family members as it was inherited, until reaching its final size in 1854, it was a symbol of the family wealth and had 100 windows.


1855 (13 Jan) Henry Albert Hoy, locomotive engineer, born in London

Was made works manager at the L &YR ‘s new works at Horwich in 1886

Died 24 May 1910


1855 (18 Jun) John Bradshaw Gass, British Architect and Artist, born.    Gass was a nephew of J. J. Bradshaw, the founder of Bradshaw Gass & Hope. He received the Ashbury Prize for Civil Engineering at Owens College (later Manchester University). He assisted Sir Ernest George in London before, in 1880, becoming a pupil of his uncle in Bolton. When Gass became a partner, in 1882, the firm adopted the style Bradshaw & Gass.                                                                       Died 3 Jul 1939


1855 (19 Dec) Market Hall, Knowsley Street opened.


1855 (19 Dec) The original Market Hall opened, on the site of a former bowling green

the site of the market place in Victoria Square is where the town hall stands now.

James Knowles, as Mayor of Bolton, performed the opening ceremony.


1855 (19 Dec) Flags waving above the streets, church bells ringing, a public holiday - 19 December 1855 when Bolton's Market Hall had its grand opening was a special occasion. Over 20,000 people, with 3,000 women seated in the galleries, watched the opening ceremony. This was also the opening of a new era. The innovative building was not only to bring cleanliness, convenience and visual delight to the town; it was also a symbol of civic pride, social cohesion and moral uplift. Very Victorian - and very modern too in its anticipation of the shopping malls of today.


1855 Church Institute, Silverwell Street opened, became Canon Slade School in 1946 (moved to Bradshaw 1959) demolished 1969.


1855 St James Church, Breightmet built.

1855 St James' parish church designed by John Edgar Gregan was consecrated in 1855.


1855 Walter Whitman (born 1819) published the first edition of his book of poems, 'Leaves of Grass'.


1855 John Charles Kay born the second son of James Kay (1805-1876)

He was a great sportsman and co founded the Turton Football Club, in 1871

Died 1929


1855 Canon Slade School was founded by Canon James Slade as the Bolton Church Institute, aimed at educating the poorer children of Bolton


1855 Chatswood Safes Company established in Bolton.                                           


1855 Peel Mill No2, Waterloo Street, built.   


1855 Richard Crowther (1855-1919), Chairman of Horwich Urban District Council: 1918-19, born                                                           


1856 (8 Sep) The corner stones of the Fishpool Workhouse were laid.

The Workhouse on Fletcher St was subsequently moved to the new site. It was built on land known as Fishpool Farm, which was owned by the Church and called simply Fishpool. It cost £2,880 and was completed in 1858.

1856 (3 Dec) Alfred Henry Gill, MP Bolton 1906-1914 Labour, born in Rochdale, Lancashire

Educated St Mary’s Elementary School, Balderstone, Lancashire.

First Labour MP for Bolton. One of the first intake of Labour MPs ever to be elected 1906.

Worked in cotton mills from 1867. Became a union official in Bolton and later General Secretary of Operative Spinners Association. Officially opened their headquarters – Spinners’ Hall on St Georges Road Bolton

Died 27 Aug 1914 Bolton


1856 (31 Dec) First internment at Tonge Cemetery, Bolton.                 Tonge cemetery was the first municipal cemetery in Bolton when it opened on New Years Eve 1856 and was known simply as Bolton cemetery.


1856 (31 Dec) Tonge Cemetery, Cemetery Road, Tonge, Bolton, BL1 (First Interment: 31st December 1856)


1856 Tom Mann, socialist and trade union organiser, born near Coventry. His father was a clerk in a local colliery, his mother died when he was two and a half.

Died 1941.


1856 James Seddon born in Kay Street, Bolton, son of James Seddon, also a stonemason and Inspector of Sewers for Bolton

Mayor of Bolton 1914-1916 (Conservative)

Died 7 Mar 1923


1856 William Makant (born 1806) became a director of Park Mill Spinning Co.


1856 Bank Street Unitarian Chapel erected


1856 Bank Street Unitarian Church original building opened.


1856 The present Bank Street Chapel building was built in 1856.


1856 Patty Penelope Hortor born

wife of Herbert Shepherd Cross

Died 1945.


1856 From 1856 onwards, a number of public cemeteries were opened by various local authorities in the Bolton area and many church and chapel graveyards closed.


1857 (10 Feb) James Kay (1774-1857), British inventor, died at Turton Tower, Turton, Lancashire


1857 (2 May) Newspapers: The Bolton Spectator began 2nd May 1857 by Joseph Lawson, 133 Bradshawgate, price 1d. It was very short lived, but the date of its death is not known.


1857 (12 Oct) Sir Thomas Gardner Horridge,  British High Court judge and Liberal politician, born, the only son of John Horridge, chemist, of Tonge with Haulgh, and Margaret Barlow of Bolton, Lancashire.          Took part in the trial for treason of Roger Casement                            Presided over the Green Bicycle Case trial at Leicester Castle               Died 25 Jul 1938.


1857 At the 1857 general election William Gray (1814 – 1895) was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Bolton. He held the seat until he was defeated at the 1874 general election.


1857 At a meeting of the Bolton Ladies Olive Leaf Society Edmund Ashworth (1800-1881) claimed that "...whilst England was the most professing Christian nation on the face of the earth, she was the most bloodthirsty, cruel and oppressive."


1857 in 1857 Ormrod and Hardcastle purchased another spinning mill called Bullfield Mill (established as Messrs Twycross when it was built in 1842). This resulted in Ormrod and Hardcastle owning 113,688 spindles and 458 looms.


1857 James Lomax (1857-1934) born in Radcliffe, near Bury, Lancashire, the son of a colliery manager.


1857-1859 William Makant (born 1806) – Mayor of Bolton (Liberal)


1857-1874 William Gray (1814 – 1895) English Conservative Party politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1857 to 1874.


1858 (12 May) First internment at Westhoughton Cemetery.


1858 (12 May) Westhoughton Cemetery, Cemetery Street, Westhoughton, Bolton, BL5 2BG.  (First Interment: 12th May 1858)


1858 (19 Aug) Sir Edward Tootal Broadhurst, baronet, cotton manufacturer, was born at Bury Old Road, Broughton, near Manchester, the second son of Henry Tootal Broadhurst (1822–1896), cotton manufacturer, and his first wife, Mary Margaret, née Brooks.                Died 1922


1858 (5 Sep) Thomas Bonsor Crompton (1792-1858), died

He could well be called the first papermaking tycoon and his mill at Farnworth became a showpiece for the craft.

He was buried in St John’s churchyard, Farnworth


1858 (5 Sep) Mr. Thomas Bonsor Crompton died September 5th 1858 aged 66;


1858 (30 Dec) Newspapers: The Bolton Examiner began 30th December 1858 by Henry Whewell, Bridge Street, price 1d and was enlarged 20th May 1859 price 1.1/2d, but was ceased in 1862.


1858 Edmund Aspinall (1858-1940) - Mayor of Bolton: 1923-24 (Conservative), born: Spring Gardens, Bolton                                   Died 30 No 1940


1858 Samuel Chadwick was made a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in London.


1858 David Magee (or McGee) (born about 1829) was proprietor of the “Good Samaritan beerhouse and brewery at 73, Derby Street in Bradford Ward.


1858 Robert Sharpe Barlow, managing partner of Bolton Bank, committed suicide

Barlow’s place as managing partner of the bank was taken by Thomas Lever Rushton.


1858 Yew Tree Colliery: the location for a mining disaster that killed 25 men and boys in 1858.


1859 (8 Oct) Newspapers: The Bolton Independent began 8th October 1859, by James Hall and T W Sollery at 14 Fold Street, price 1d, but the following month Mr Sollery withdrew from it and on 10th December Mr Hall was joined by Thomas Cunliffe and his son John at 20 Oxford Street. This continued until the father’s decease on 24th October 1868 and since that time by the son as the Bolton Guardian.


1859 Bolton department store Whiteheads founded by the late Richard Whitehead -- who came to Bolton from Heywood that same year -- Whiteheads started life as a small fur shop at 10, Deansgate.


1859 Gilbert French’s “The Life and Times of Samuel Crompton” published


1859 Jessie Knowles, born in Bolton

Daughter of James Knowles, Mayor of Bolton 1855-1857

A lifeboat in Southport named for her.

bottom of page